By: Ms Maryanne Kooda
Currently 700,000 people in the UK have dementia and this figure is expected to double over the next few decades. The Awards in Awareness of Dementia/Certificates in Dementia Care will help to improve health and care services supporting individuals diagnosed with dementia.
Qualifications in awareness of dementia and dementia care are aimed at occupational areas across all service user groups and ages.
This also includes healthcare/care assistants, support/key workers, family support workers and team leaders/first line supervisors.
Here in Nigeria, Dr Temitope Farombi, a consultant geriatric neurologist at the Chief Tony Anenih Geriatric Centre at UCH Ibadan, explains that relatives often assume that the early signs of dementia – confusion, irritability, difficulty performing familiar tasks and memory loss – are just normal signs of ageing.
Dr Farombi says, “ageing is a physiological process, while dementia is a pathology of the brain. It presents in the form of memory loss and behavioural abnormalities”.
“Early diagnosis helps stall other associated risk factors that could accelerate the progression of dementia,” Farombi explains, adding that “medication can help improve cognition”.
Many stories abound about the elderly who are mistaken for witches because they are acting “possessed”.
The Dewdrop Institute’s dementia qualifications are aimed at a diverse range of job roles and occupational areas across all service user groups and ages, working in government, private and voluntary agencies. This would be suitable for anyone aged 16 or older, who have an interest in operating in a caring role for older people.
These roles include
- Care assistants/support workers/key workers in residential settings
- Healthcare assistants/support workers in community and primary care environments or acute health environments
- Care assistants/support workers/key workers in domiciliary services Care assistants/support workers/key workers in day services
- Support workers in supported living projects
- Community-based care assistants/support workers/key workers, including those working in specialist areas e.g dementia, learning disabilities
- Family support workers
- Personal assistants employed directly by the individual they support or their families
- Senior workers in above services
- First line supervisors
- Team leaders working
- Emerging new types of workers and multidisciplinary health roles crossing traditional service barriers and delivery models Informal and family carers.Dewdrop Institute is the only City and Guilds accredited training center for Health and Social Care in Nigeria.
These Health and Social Care Diploma qualifications are designed to equip learners with the skills and knowledge needed to care for others in a broad range of health or social care settings.
A Diploma in Health and Social Care is flexible to suit all fields of health and social care. Learners can select a pathway that suits their role – for example, working with people with a learning disability, people with dementia or children and young people.
This is the main qualification required by the Quality Care Commission in England and the Care Councils in Wales and Northern Ireland.
City & Guilds International of London, UK is the global leader in skills development & apprenticeship schemes with 2 million learners working on diverse qualifications every year since 1878. Its Diploma qualifications for the workforce are recognized globally in over 80 countries. C&G training solves local skills shortages and transforms the lives of people by enabling them develop their potential and the skills they need to get their first job and progress on to higher levels; start and manage their businesses successfully; and become globally mobile.
The Dewdrop Institute is an accredited City & Guilds vocational Institute, and an affiliate of edX, with training Centres in Abuja and Enugu, Nigeria. We provide affordable and flexible learning opportunities for people at all levels to acquire top-notch skills and corporate knowledge from our team of experts, partners and industry specialists in a serene learning environment or through our DewCare online platform.